Elevate spinach to pie high status with this Low Carb Spinach Parmesan Pie.
Naturally gluten free and vegetarian, this is a great make ahead dish.
Think outside the box!
Use this recipe as a roadmap to create all kinds of VEGETABLE pies, such as:
- zucchini and yellow squash
- chopped artichoke hearts
- broccoli and cauliflower
- almost any fresh or defrosted frozen vegetables
The same idea applies to CHEESE.
Instead of parmesan, try
- crumbled feta OR
- grated white cheddar cheese
Dairy free eaters:
- leave out cheese, add extra 1/2 tsp each salt and dried herbs
- or use 1 cup pine nuts, chopped roasted almonds or pecans
Featured aside last week’s Simple Paleo Meatloaf,
Low Carb Spinach Parmesan Pie
- makes a great appetizer or on the go snack
- has just 83 calories and 2 carbs per serving
SO PIN, DIG IN AND LET’S GET COOKING!
Stuck in a rut? Here’s more veggie inspiration:
I would be so thrilled to see your diginwithdana recipes!
TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @DANAZGERARD, HASHTAG #DIGINWITHDANA
EMAIL >>>>> firstname.lastname@example.orgPrint
A delicious low carb vegetable pie without crust! This basic recipe will work with all your favorite vegetable combinations, like squash, peppers and eggplant, artichoke hearts, etc.. For dairy free, leave out cheese and add in 1/2 tsp each salt and your favorite herb blend.
- *2 10 oz packages fresh or frozen, thawed spinach leaves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3 eggs, separated
- 8 oz parmesan cheese ( or feta or shredded white cheddar)
- *Substitute spinach for: zucchini and yellow squash, chopped artichoke hearts or any fresh or defrosted frozen vegetable/vegetable mix
- Set oven to 350 F. Spray and line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large covered saucepan, wilt spinach with 2 tablespoons of water over low heat, 3-4 minutes. Drain, squeeze out most of the water and then chop spinach.
- In the same pan, saute onions in oil over low heat until translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in spinach, salt and herbs. Let cool. Taste and adjust the mixture before adding in eggs. Dairy free: add an extra 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or herb blend.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk egg yolks, then add in cheese and spinach mixture.
- Short on time? Don’t separate the eggs, just add them to the bowl first and whisk well.
- Using a handheld or stationary mixer, beat egg whites until light and cloud like, about 4 minutes.
- Fold egg whites into spinach mixture and pour into baking dish.
- Bake 30 – 40 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into 8, 16 or even 32 bite size squares or triangles.
- Good hot, cold or room temperature.
- Garnish with additional cheese and herbs, if desired.
- Wrap cooled pie well and refrigerate up to a week or freeze up to three months.
Nutritional Information for Low Carb Spinach Parmesan Pie.