Late January is the end of pumpkin season, so I thought I’d share
my favorite recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Ribbon Bread.
This incredible loaf cake works well for breakfast, snack or dessert time.
Don’t like chocolate? Just leave it out of the recipe.
Did I mention it can be vegan (with non dairy chocolate chips) and /or gluten free?
No mixer required.
Just another reason to whip up a batch or two of this delicious and adaptable pumpkin loaf cake.Print
No mixer, no butter pumpkin bread is 100% vegan. Swirl in optional chocolate chips ( dairy free for vegans) for a beautiful chocolate ribbon pattern and dynamite flavor combination!
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour or gluten free blend +1 tsp xanthum gum
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder ( gluten free ok)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup vegetable oil ( light olive, avocado or canola, etc)
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp milk of choice (soy, almond, etc…)
- ½ cup toasted, chopped pecans ( 2 oz)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or non-dairy chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray and line with parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: pumpkin, oil, syrup, milk.
- Add wet mixture to dry and combine just until moistened. Batter will be thick.
- Fold in nuts.
- To make chocolate ribbons (optional): Melt chocolate according to package directions and stir until completely melted.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and then spoon a few puddles of melted chocolate in different places on top. Take a knife or chopstick and gently press down to the bottom of loaf pan and draw a few swirls or lines throughout the cake. You may want to put chocolate on one cake and leave the other plain. Top with a few pecan halves before baking if you like.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until top is browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool 20 minutes; use a butter knife to gently loosen bread from sides of pan, then invert onto a cooling rack.
Adapted from Claryn at Hell Yeah It’s Vegan
One of my favorite bloggers; I love her recipes and writing!
based upon a 2 oz serving using:
*semi- sweet dairy chocolate chips