No mixer, no butter pumpkin bread is 100% vegan. Swirl in optional chocolate chips ( dairy free for vegans) for a beautiful chocolate ribbon pattern and dynamite flavor combination!
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour or gluten free blend +1 tsp xanthum gum
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder ( gluten free ok)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup vegetable oil ( light olive, avocado or canola, etc)
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp milk of choice (soy, almond, etc…)
- ½ cup toasted, chopped pecans ( 2 oz)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or non-dairy chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two loaf pans with cooking spray and line with parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: pumpkin, oil, syrup, milk.
- Add wet mixture to dry and combine just until moistened. Batter will be thick.
- Fold in nuts.
- To make chocolate ribbons (optional): Melt chocolate according to package directions and stir until completely melted.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and then spoon a few puddles of melted chocolate in different places on top. Take a knife or chopstick and gently press down to the bottom of loaf pan and draw a few swirls or lines throughout the cake. You may want to put chocolate on one cake and leave the other plain. Top with a few pecan halves before baking if you like.
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until top is browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool 20 minutes; use a butter knife to gently loosen bread from sides of pan, then invert onto a cooling rack.
Adapted from Claryn at Hell Yeah It’s Vegan
One of my favorite bloggers; I love her recipes and writing!