Cranberries, sweet persimmons and citrus spiked cake batter share the spotlight in this easy Cranberry Persimmon Cake.
Hachiya and Fuyu are two varieties that taste like a cross between an apricot and a papaya.
Ripe persimmon slices have a rich pudding like texture that live up to their name, fruit of the Gods!
No persimmons? Use apples, pears or stone fruits instead.
Sweeten the New Year with this festive, delicious and Easy Cranberry Persimmon Cake.
Pin and Dig in!
Let’s get cooking!
I’d love to see what YOU are making!
Share your creations with me on Instagram @danazgerard #diginwithdana or on Facebook @ diginwithdana #diginwithdana
DROP ME A LINE anytime at email@example.com.
Cranberries, sweet persimmons and citrus spiked cake batter share the spotlight in this easy homestyle cake. Perfect for brunch or a casual dessert with ice cream or whipped topping. Can be gluten and dairy free.
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- *2 small persimmons, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- **3 tablespoons orange zest, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice ( about 2 large oranges)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar + extra for decoration
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream or whole milk yogurt (or dairy free alternatives)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (or gluten free flour mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- * Instead of persimmons, you may use apples or pears
- ** Instead of orange zest, you may use a mixture of orange and lemon zests.
- Preheat oven to 325 F and spray a 10 inch glass pie plate or 9 inch cake pan with baking spray.
- Line the bottom of the oven with foil to catch drips.
- In a medium bowl stir together cranberries, persimmons, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon orange zest, orange juice and cinnamon. Put aside.
- Use a stand or handheld mixer to blend together sugar and another tablespoon of orange zest.
- Add in eggs and beat two minutes. Blend in butter, vanilla and sour cream. With mixer on low, add in flour and salt just until combined.
- Place fruit mixture and accumulated juices evenly into the pie plate or pan.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread cake batter evenly over the fruit.
- Optional topping: mix together 1 tablespoon orange zest with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake 55 or 60 minutes, until fruit bubbles and a toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped topping or ice cream.
Adapted from Easy Cranberry & Apple Cake from the cookbook: Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?
Nutritional Information for Easy Cranberry Persimmon Cake. Serves 12.