Cranberries, sweet persimmons and citrus spiked cake batter share the spotlight in this easy homestyle cake. Perfect for brunch or a casual dessert with ice cream or whipped topping. Can be gluten and dairy free.
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- *2 small persimmons, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- **3 tablespoons orange zest, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice ( about 2 large oranges)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar + extra for decoration
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream or whole milk yogurt (or dairy free alternatives)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (or gluten free flour mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- * Instead of persimmons, you may use apples or pears
- ** Instead of orange zest, you may use a mixture of orange and lemon zests.
- Preheat oven to 325 F and spray a 10 inch glass pie plate or 9 inch cake pan with baking spray.
- Line the bottom of the oven with foil to catch drips.
- In a medium bowl stir together cranberries, persimmons, brown sugar, 1 tablespoon orange zest, orange juice and cinnamon. Put aside.
- Use a stand or handheld mixer to blend together sugar and another tablespoon of orange zest.
- Add in eggs and beat two minutes. Blend in butter, vanilla and sour cream. With mixer on low, add in flour and salt just until combined.
- Place fruit mixture and accumulated juices evenly into the pie plate or pan.
- Use a rubber spatula to spread cake batter evenly over the fruit.
- Optional topping: mix together 1 tablespoon orange zest with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake 55 or 60 minutes, until fruit bubbles and a toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped topping or ice cream.
Adapted from Easy Cranberry & Apple Cake from the cookbook: Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?