Stir up something warm and satisfying with A little spicy Mexican stew.
Make it with beef or pork.
( Use shoulder or boneless ribs; a fattier cut of meat to produce a rich, flavorful stew.)
Gluten free and can be dairy free.
Want a mild stew? Leave out the cayenne and chiles in adobo.
Don’t want to cook with beer?
Use a low salt beef or chicken broth instead.
It will still be delicious!
My husband loves this stew, so I make it all winter long.
Just like chili, this stew is serious, comfort food.
With a simple green salad, crackers or cornbread, a little Spicy Mexican Stew makes a great meal.
I like to bring sides of sour cream, shredded cheese, jalepenos and cilantro to the table and let everyone help themselves.
There’s a new stew in town!
Pin and Dig In!
DROP ME A LINE anytime at email@example.com.
- 4½ pounds cubed pork or beef shoulder, trimmed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil (30 ml)
- 1-cup chili powder (120 gm)
- 3 tablespoons cumin (18 gm)
- ½ t cayenne pepper (optional) (2 gm)
- ¼ cup minced dried onion (30 gm)
- 2 t garlic powder (6 gm)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (I like Classico) (500 ml)
- 14 oz diced fire roasted canned tomatoes, drained
- *1 tablespoon chilis in adobo paste (15 ml)
- 18 oz. light colored Mexican beer (Modelo Especiale)
- ( To make the adobo puree, blend 7 oz chipotles in adobo sauce with a little tomato sauce and beer to make a thick, smooth paste. Store in refrigerator, covered and labeled and use 2 teaspoons for this recipe.
- 8 oz water or low sodium beef broth
- Brown meat with olive or avocado oil. Pour off fat.
- Off the heat, add in combination of chili powder, cumin, cayenne, dried onion, garlic powder and salt. Mix well.
- Pour in tomato sauce, tomatoes, chilis in adobo, beer and water. Mix again.
- Bring to a boil, cover partially ( let some steam escape), then reduce to a simmer for 2 - 2½ hours, until meat is fork tender.
- Let cool, covered on stove top for 2 hours.
- Serve or reheat with stewed okra.
- Oven version- once the pot boils, transfer to 225 F oven for 2½ - 3 hours.