Ahh, Easy Tex-Mex Chicken Soup.
Add your favorite broth, tomato sauce, veggies and protein and you’ve got dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow.
| After sautéing the vegetables, add in your liquid and seasonings. For this particular soup, use a combination of chicken broth and tomato sauce. Cumin, salt and a finely chopped, seeded jalepeno give the soup its Tex-Mex flavor.
Once the soup is ready, I like to add additional barely sautéed vegetables, like these yellow and orange bell peppers.
|This makes a beautiful presentation and adds extra texture to the soup.|
|Once the soup is cooked through, carefully remove and discard chicken skin and bones.|
Dress up your soup with fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley, lime and jalepeno slices, shredded cheese and sour cream.
Enjoy making your own version of this Easy Tex-Mex Chicken Soup. Spicy or mild, with chicken or without, this soup’s a winner. Dig in!
Spicy or mild, with chicken or without, this soup’s a winner. Add your favorite broth, tomato sauce, veggies and protein and you’ve got dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow.
- 4 skin on, bone in chicken thighs
- 2 small bell peppers, chopped (250 gm)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (400 gm)
- 1½ cups celery, chopped (200 gm)
- 1½ cups carrots, chopped (200 gm)
- ½ – 1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (950 ml)
- 1-2 cups tomato sauce, like marinara (250 – 450 ml)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (2 gm)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro or parsley sprigs
- lime slices
- avocado slices
- jalepeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- shredded mild cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla strips
- Bake Chicken: Preheat oven to 350 F. Rinse and pat dry chicken thighs with paper towels. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper and rub with 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil. Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and roast skin side up
- in the oven for 35 minutes. Remove, let cool, then peel chicken meat off bones. Chop meat into large bite size pieces. Reserve meat, skin and bones for the soup.
- While chicken cooks, chop vegetables: bell peppers, onions, carrots, celery and jalepeno. Set each pile of vegetables separately on a piece of parchment or a paper plate for easy clean up.
- Sauté Vegetables: In a large soup pot, heat 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the chicken broth and sauté the bell peppers with a little salt on medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove peppers and reserve. Sauté the onions in the same pot (with the chicken skin and bones if they are ready) with a little salt on medium heat for 10 minutes, then add in carrots, celery, jalepeno, a little more salt and broth. Sauté until slightly soft, about 10 more minutes.
- For thicker soup, remove 2 cups (475 ml) vegetables and broth, puree in a blender or food processor and return to the pot.
- Stir in remaining chicken broth, tomato sauce and cumin.
- Bring soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes. Add in chicken meat. Simmer on very low heat, partially covered, another 30 minutes.
- Just before serving: Remove skin and bones and add in chopped lightly sautéed, seasoned peppers.
- Serve with cilantro or parsley sprigs and slices of lime.
- Other optional add ins: shredded mild cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips, avocado slices, hot sauce.
Inspired by The Gallery Buffet Soup Cookbook