This South of the Border Chicken Vegetable Soup gets a kick from cumin, lime juice and smoked paprika for a flavorful, paleo one – pot meal.
A very Happy Mother’s Day to my moms and all the moms out there too! This recipe is for YOU!
Basic and versatile, use this recipe as a gateway to make different soups for different seasons.
Sub another protein, like fish, cubed meat or meatballs!
Vegetarian: Use cubed, firm tofu or a sprinkling of your favorite grated cheese. Add beans or grains, if you like.
Change vegetables: Fold in greens or other green vegetables, like peas, green beans or asparagus …
I like to use my homemade vegetable broth (to control the salt content), but you can use your favorite boxed vegetable or chicken broth.
Soup is such a reliable and satisfying staple in our house.
I often make it and deliver it to my parents (so THEY don’t have to cook!).
Soup = Comfort
Soup is simply the best stay at home therapy.
Chopping, stirring, smelling the aromas as they rise from the soup pot is as therapeutic as eating it.
Try making soup part of your weekly meal plan.
Lunch or Dinner
This recipe makes 6 – 8 individual servings of soup that you can just pull from the fridge for an instant, delicious meal.
It will last a week in the fridge and up to three months in the freezer.
like I did and make your own substitutions based on what you like and what you have in your pantry.
Garnish like you would for tacos- with avocado, your favorite grated cheese, sour cream, parsley or cilantro.
Pin and Dig into South of the Border Chicken Vegetable Soup!
More soup ideas:
- Oh So Simple Lentil Soup
- A Little Spicy Mexican Stew
- East Meets West Beef Stew
- Slow Cooked Chicken Chili
- Easy Tex-Mex Chicken Soup
- Greek Meatballs in Tangy Tomato Sauce
- Easy Gazpacho with Parmesan Crisps
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- sea salt
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin (may add more at the end)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup cooked chicken or fish, sliced or cubed
- juice from 1 lime
- dash smoked paprika (optional)
- optional garnishes: avocado, shredded white cheese, parsley/cilantro, even tortilla chips (if you eat carbs…)
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions + 1/4 teaspoon salt and stir 15-20 minutes. Add in a few tablespoons of broth often to keep onions from burning. You want onions translucent, starting to brown.
- Add in carrots + celery and saute another 5 minutes. Then stir in zucchini +garlic + cumin until well combined.
- Pour in remaining broth and bring to a boil. Decrease to a simmer, cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add in chicken or fish, lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Taste and adjust seasonings- you might want more: salt, cumin and a pinch of smoked paprika.
- Serve with optional garnishes.
- Keeps up to a week in fridge and 3 months in freezer. ENJOY!