Baked Pasta Primavera with noodles, tomato sauce and vegetables is one dish heaven.
Serves: 12 servings
- Cooking Spray
- 12 oz extra wide egg noodles
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, mashed
- 3 pounds ripe cherry or plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 T fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 t kosher salt
- ½ t fresh cracked pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, florets only
- 1 large bunch thin asparagus, tips only
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F and arrange baking rack in the center of oven.
- Prep pans and noodles: Spray 2 8 x 8 or 1 9 x12 casserole dish with cooking spray. Boil noodles until firm according to package directions. Drain, toss with one tablespoon olive oil and set aside.
- Make tomato sauce: In a large coated skillet or pot, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion turns clear and starts to brown, about ten minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and bay leaf. Simmer uncovered until tomatoes begin to lose their skins and sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Add 1-2 T chopped basil to finished sauce and reserve extra basil for garnish. Season to taste and toss four cups of sauce with pasta. Reserve remaining tomato sauce for another use.
- Prep vegetables: Blanch broccoli florets in salted boiling water for 1-2 minutes, then plunge broccoli into ice water to stop cooking. Remove broccoli from ice water and place on paper towel to dry. Add broccoli, uncooked asparagus tips and ¾ cup parmesan to pasta and sauce. Stir to combine and pour into baking dish or dishes. Top pasta with remaining ¼ cup parmesan. Freeze second dish for later or bake both now.
- Bake: Spray the underside of aluminum foil with cooking spray to prevent cheese from sticking and cover pasta dish/dishes. Bake thirty minutes, then remove foil and broil for three minutes to brown cheese. Remove from oven and serve with additional parmesan and basil, if desired.