A large microwavable bowl and lots of dark chocolate star in these one bowl fudgy brownies.
I made these brownies for an etiquette dinner hosted by my friend and manners maven Elise McVeigh.
Seven lucky adults sipped wine and dined on lasagna and sweets in Elise’s dining room while she chatted with them about proper table manners.
Find out about all of Elise’s fun manners classes for kids and adults here.
To make the brownies easier to hold and eat in polite company,
I added a layer of fudgy frosting to the middle instead of the top.
Elise served the brownies in cupcake liners alongside
lemon and cherry shortbread bars and lemon bundt cakes (stay tuned for that recipe soon!)
One bowl fudgy brownies are based upon my Salted Caramel Brownies...
So easy… you won’t even need a mixer!
I added almonds, but use whatever nuts you like or even leave them out.
Gluten free: use gluten free flour mix.
Dairy free: use vegan butter, dairy free chocolate chips and coconut cream instead of dairy cream.
I actually prefer the fudgy frosting made with coconut cream.
You can’t taste the coconut and you won’t need to refrigerate the brownies.
Fudgy filling is optional but makes this brownie a standout:
Microwave cream/coconut milk. Pour over finely chopped dark chocolate,
stir until smooth and let firm, about an hour.
I find it’s easiest to make and freeze the brownies a day before filling them with fudge.
Cut frozen brownies into 16 squares, then slice each square in half lengthwise.
Spread fudge across bottom half of brownie, then place other brownie half on top.
Don’t like fudge?
Stuff your brownies with one of these variations:
- Nut Butters ( peanut, almond, cashew, sunflower…)
- Nut Butter and Jelly
- Whipped Cream
- Marshmallow creme and crushed graham crackers
- Cream Cheese
- Ice cream
- Sliced fruit like strawberries and bananas
Size and shape matter too:
Start with 16 large squares, then cut into triangles,
rectangles or even 64 mini squares, the perfect two bite dessert!
Get ready for some one bowl fun… Pin and Dig IN!
If you like brownies, you’ll love: Chocolate Crunch Bars (gluten free),
Have you made a diginwithdana recipe lately??
TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @DANAZGERARD, HASHTAG #DIGINWITHDANA
EMAIL ME >>>>> email@example.comPrint
A large microwavable bowl and lots of dark chocolate star in this simple recipe. The fudgy layer in between is optional but takes this brownie over the top!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or vegan butter ( 114 gm)
- 1/4 cup extra butter for pan (57 gm)
- 8 oz semi sweet or dark chocolate chips (240 gm) (I like Ghiradelli)
- 3/4 cup white sugar (5.25 oz/150 gm)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed ( 3.5 oz/75 gm)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract ( if you don’t have almond extract, sub vanilla)
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (98 gm) (gluten free blend ok)
- 1 cup almonds, chopped (5 oz/150 gm) (sub pecans or walnuts)
- Fudgy filling
- 6 oz dark chocolate (240 gm)
- 4 oz heavy cream or coconut cream (240 ml)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8 inch square baking pan, then line with foil. Make a sling (for easy pick up) on two sides.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl to heat butter and chocolate chips together at 50% power, 30 seconds at a time. Stir between intervals. Continue stirring until completely smooth. (May take 2 – 3 intervals.)
- Blend sugars and salt into chocolate mixture, stirring well.
- One at a time, add in eggs, then almond and vanilla extracts until well combined.
- Gently add in flour and nuts together, mixing just until flour disappears. (Don’t overmix!)
- Spread batter evenly into pan and top with extra nuts and chips (optional). Bake in top third of the oven, about 35 minutes.
- Halfway through baking time, rotate pan and check brownies after 30 minutes. Better to undercook than overcook! Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached.
- Remove brownies and let cool completely. When cool, wrap well and freeze.
- To make fudgy filling: finely chop chocolate and set aside.
- Using the same (cleaned and dry) microwavable bowl, heat cream + maple syrup until boiling, then add chocolate and let sit 30 seconds. Stir gently with a rubber spatula until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Cover and let firm about an hour.
- Slice frozen brownies in half lengthwise and spread bottom with a thin, even layer of fudgy filling.
- If filling hardens, stir with a spoon to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- Cover with top layer and slice into either 16, 32 or 64 squares, rectangles or diamonds.
- Store brownies in the refrigerator until several hours before serving.
Chip and Nut Deluxe Version: Set aside an extra 1/4 cup each nuts and chocolate chips. Before baking brownies, sprinkle top with extra nuts and chocolate chips. Heaven!
Adapted from Food 52’s Vegan by Gena Hamshaw, Martha Stewarts’ Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast, and Quick-Shop-and-Prep 5 Ingredient Baking by Jennifer McHenry