I created this Banana Split Semifreddo to satisfy my deep craving for a banana split: cold bananas, fresh strawberries, whipped cream, chocolate sauce and a bright red cherry on top.
Here’s a “banana split” you can make in advance for your next party or holiday dinner like Easter or Passover. There’s no dairy, no gluten and no ice cream maker required. Just lots of fruit, like bananas, strawberries, coconut milk, dates and cherries.
Top with three ingredient chocolate sauce, melted or shaved chocolate bars and maraschino cherries.
It’s a compact, elegant banana split that’s fun to make and even more fun to eat.
Capture all the goodness of a banana split in this original frozen semifreddo. Dairy free and fruit based. Make in a loaf pan. No ice cream maker required!
- 4 large overripe bananas, almost black
- 1-pint strawberries, thinly sliced
- 2 (13 oz.) cans unsweetened coconut milk, cold
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 t + ½ t vanilla
- ½ cup pitted dates
- 1 8 oz. mini box dark chocolate almond milk
- 8 oz. semi sweet chocolate baking bar, divided
- 1 oz. jar maraschino cherries, optional
- Make frozen banana layer: Spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray and line with enough parchment paper to hang over sides for easy removal. Slice and freeze bananas in a ziploc bag. In blender or food processor, whizz frozen bananas until completely smooth, about 3 minutes. Pour HALF the banana puree into loaf pan. Add a layer of strawberry slices on top, and then pour in rest of mixture. Wrap tightly and freeze.
- Make coconut whipped cream: Open cans of cold coconut milk and remove just the solid layer. Reserve liquid for another use (i.e.: smoothie or baked good). Using a standing or hand held electric mixer, slowly at first, whip coconut solids with powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Fold in 1 tsp. vanilla. Cover and refrigerate. Once banana layer is frozen solid, add half of whipped cream to banana semifreddo. Top whipped cream with another layer of strawberry slices, then add remaining whipped cream. Smooth cream, top with a layer of parchment paper, wrap with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- Make chocolate sauce: Blend pitted dates and almond milk at high speed until completely liquid for 2 -3 minutes. Transfer to a small pot. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce to a simmer for 5 -7 minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Reduce to very low; add ½ t vanilla and 2 oz. chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts completely and remove from heat.
- Prep garnishes: Slice strawberries and set aside. Just before serving, melt remaining 6 oz. of chocolate in microwave in 30-second intervals. Stir until shiny and smooth. Reserve to drizzle on top of semifreddo slices. Or grate chocolate and sprinkle shavings over semifreddo.
- Unmold and plate: Remove parchment from semifreddo and place in a pan of warm water for about 20 seconds. Run a knife along both ends of loaf pan to loosen, then turn upside down onto a long plate. Discard parchment. Top loaf with strawberry slices. Cut semifreddo slices with a knife dipped each time in hot water.
- Serve: Spoon warmed chocolate sauce onto each plate, top with semifreddo slice, then add sliced strawberries, melted chocolate drizzle (or shavings) and a cherry. To serve buffet style: slice semifreddo for each guest, offering self-serve bowls of sauces, chocolate and fruits.
Fudge Sauce adapted from myownlabels.com
Coconut Whipped Cream adapted from Carly Sitner