Here’s an easy berry pie filling that tastes just like summer. If you’d like to make your own crust, see this no fail crust recipe. Use a gluten free crust or buy a ready made shell or pie dough and prebake in the oven. Use the photos below as your guide and dig in to your new favorite Fourth of July Pie!
Add whipped cream in the center or fill the entire pie.
Either way, this berry pie won’t last, so DIG IN!!!
SHARE your thoughts or what you’re making these days!
COMMENT below or if you make one of my recipes,
POST your creations with #diginwithdana
WRITE me anytime at email@example.com.Print
Use this simple berry glaze as a template to make all sorts of fresh fruit pies. Easy and adaptable, it’s sure to become your new summer favorite!
- 5 cups clean berries (650–700 gm) (slice and hull strawberries)
- (I used 3 cups strawberries, 1 cup each raspberries and blueberries)
- 1 tablespoon lemon or orange juice
- ¼ cup cornstarch (30 gm)
- 1-teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ – ½ cup sugar (use more or less depending on sweetness of berries)
- 1/8-teaspoon kosher salt
- Chilled pie dough for one 9-inch pie*
- Dried beans, rice or pie weights (for prebaking the pie)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-tablespoon heavy cream
- Whipped cream and extra berries, for garnish
- *See no fail pie crust recipe or use a ready-made unbaked crust.
- Make pie filling: Mash or blend 1 cup of strawberries with a tablespoon of juice. Combine with two cups of sliced strawberries and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix cornstarch with a few tablespoons of cold water until completely dissolved. Add in flavorings, sugar and salt. Add in strawberry mixture and stir gently to coat. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook 3 – 5 minutes, just until glaze is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Combine remaining 2 cups of berries into cooled strawberry glaze and stir to coat.
- For piecrust: See my Apple Pie recipe for pie dough instructions or use a ready made unbaked pie shell. Preheat oven to 400 F and place a baking sheet on the middle oven rack. Pierce bottom of crust all over with a fork.
- Line the crust with two sheets of foil or parchment and fill with dried rice, beans or pie weights. Freeze for 10 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Place pie crust on preheated baking sheet and bake 20 – 30 minutes until crust is slightly golden.
- Make an egg wash by whisking together egg yolk and cream in a small bowl. When crust is golden, remove from oven and discard pie weights and foil or parchment. Brush bottom and sides of pie with egg wash, then return to the oven another 3-5 minutes, until crust is dry and shiny. Remove from oven and let cool completely before filling with berry mixture.
- Refrigerate pie at least 2 hours (to allow filling to set) before cutting.
- Top with whipped cream and extra sliced berries.
Adapted from Inspired Taste, Simple Strawberry Pie Recipe