Dress up your cheese plate with Figgy Cherry Compote. Fresh lemon zest and ginger give this easy dried fruit spread just the right amount of zing.
- 2 cups dried fruit (350 gm) (dried figs, cherries, dates, etc…) **
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or 1/8 teaspoon dried)
- Optional accompaniments: 8 oz cream cheese or vegan cream cheese
- chopped nuts or sesame seeds
- Carrs water crackers or other crackers
- Gingersnap thins
- Sliced apples
** May substitute apricots, raisins or other dried fruit combinations
- Remove stems and seeds from dried fruit. Coarsely chop figs and dates.
- In a large saucepan, combine: figs, dates, cherries, salt, lemon, ginger and 1 cup water.
- Stir and simmer 4-5 minutes, until fruit begins to thicken, then remove from heat.
- Optional cream cheese ball/tower: Load softened or whipped cream cheese into a small bowl or dish lined with plastic wrap. Pack cream cheese down into the bowl with the back of a spoon. Smooth top, cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble. Turn cream cheese ball/tower over onto cheese plate (and remove plastic). Top with some sesame seeds or chopped roasted nuts and serve with crackers, gingersnap thins, sliced apples and grapes. Don’t forget to serve with cheese spreaders!
Adapted from and inspired by realsimple.com’s December 2012 Cheese Platter with Dried Fruit Compote.