A bowl of oatmeal in muffin form. Add in your favorite fruit in season, like fresh blueberries, cherries or peaches! Spread with butter, jam or honey.
- 1 cup+ old fashioned oats (Reserve more oats to sprinkle on tops of muffins before baking)
- ( For gluten free: Make sure the oats you are using are certified gluten free)
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour or gluten free mix (195 gm)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (gluten free ok)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light or dark packed brown sugar (for a sweeter muffin, use 3/4 cup brown sugar)
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter or vegan butter, melted or neutral vegetable oil ( 2 oz/60 ml)
- 1 cup fresh or dried fruit of choice, such as blueberries, cherries, nectarines
- ( reserve an additional 1/2 cup fruit for the tops of muffins)
- Heat oven to 400 F or 375 convection. Grease muffin cups or use paper or foil muffin liners.
- While oven is heating, line a baking sheet with foil and toast oats 5 – 10 minutes, until golden then remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and brown sugar until smooth. Add in milk, vanilla and melted butter.
- Pour wet batter over dry ingredients.
- Use a rubber spatula to gently fold ingredients together in as few strokes as possible, just until moistened.
- Place fruit in the bottom of the muffin cups, then fill each muffin with batter.
- Top muffins with remaining 1/2 cup fruit and sprinkle each top with a teaspoon of oats.
- Bake 15 -20 minutes or until springy to the touch in the center of the muffin.
- Serve warm with butter, jam, honey, agave or maple syrup.
Adapted from Brown Sugar Oatmeal Muffins, Muffins by Elizabeth Alston