Great for gluten free diets and Passover too. Enjoy toast, sandwiches, bread crumbs and bread pudding with this six ingredient, no wheat bread.
- *2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (280 gm)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (can be kosher for Passover)
- 3 large eggs, separated (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Sliced or slivered almonds for decoration (optional)
- * For a darker, nuttier bread, use coarse almond meal or a 50/50 mix of almond flour and almond meal.
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Spray or grease bottom and sides of an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda. Stir thoroughly to break up any lumps.
- Crack eggs and separate yolks from whites. Set whites aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, honey and vinegar.
- Use an electric mixer or whisk to beat whites until soft peaks form. (This gives the almond bread a lighter texture and helps it rise.) Set aside.
- Use a rubber spatula to stir egg yolk mixture into almond flour mix, then gently fold in the whites until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. For a smoother look, wet the back of a plastic spatula and level tops and corners before baking.
- Bake 33-35 minutes on bottom oven rack or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of loaf comes out clean. Start checking after 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 30 minutes. For prettier slices, wrap and freeze bread before slicing.
- Wrap and freeze leftover almond flour bread up to a month.
Adapted from Elana’s Pantry, Simple Bread