- 1 cup brown sugar (198 gm)
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour (227.5 gm)
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t kosher salt (4 gm)
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon (2 gm)
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg (2 gm)
- 1/2 t ground allspice (2 gm)
- 1/4 t ground cloves
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) (250 gm)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (120 ml/4 oz)
- 3 T pure maple syrup (60 ml)
- 3 T coconut cream or full fat non-dairy milk of choice (60 ml)
- Optional: 2 T raw sugar (for topping)
- Mix in ideas: 1/2 cup toasted, chopped pecans
- 1 cup semi-sweet or non-dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray and line with parchment an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl, mix dry ingredients: brown sugar, flour, baking soda and powder, salt and spices.
- In smaller bowl, whisk wet ingredients: pumpkin, melted coconut oil, maple syrup and non dairy cream or milk.
- Gently add wet ingredients to dry. Mix lightly just until last of flour bits disappear. Batter will be thick. Fold in optional ingredients, if desired.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and smooth top. Sprinkle with raw sugar (optional).
- Bake 50-60+ minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. After 40 minutes, if cake gets too brown, tent with foil until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool five minutes. Lift cake out of pan by parchment edges and cool on a rack until ready to eat.
- When cool, wrap well in plastic wrap. Store cake at room temperature for a few days or in freezer up to three months.
Adapted from Hell Yeah It’s Vegan Pumpkin Bread