Applesauce, a fresh pear and spices make the perfect breakfast cake, snack or dessert.
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter (or vegan butter) + 2 tablespoons (to grease the pan)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup applesauce mixed with 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend + 1 tablespoon flour (to coat pear)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground or grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large pear or apple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks.
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Optional: a few tablespoons of lemon juice, water or cream to make glaze
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly butter two small or one large loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- Use an electric or handheld mixer to cream butter and two sugars together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl after each addition.
- Stir in applesauce/ baking soda mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt and spices to break up lumps.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Toss pear or apple with flour and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45- 50 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- When cool, sift over powdered sugar or make a glaze (see below).
- To make glaze, pour enough liquid into powdered sugar to make a thick, pourable glaze.
- Pour glaze into zip top bag, secure top with a rubber band and snip one corner to make a pastry bag. (See Old fashioned peach cake for demos.)
- When the cake is cool, place on a plate with a few small pieces of parchment underneath the cake to catch drips. Make a decorative pattern (crisscross or just poured) on top of cake, let dry, then remove parchment pieces where the glaze has dripped. Serves 18 – 20.
Adapted from Deborah Madison’s Applesauce Spice Bread,
Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone
Find it online: https://diginwithdana.com/2017/03/applesauce-pear-cake.html