Roasting tomatoes to sweet, chewy perfection is the secret to success in this Slow Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta. Boost your creativity with this easy technique. Once you taste these tomatoes, you’ll never buy pre-packaged dried tomatoes again.
- 2 pints cherry or small roma tomatoes
- good quality mild olive or avocado oil
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- 12 oz any type pasta or vegetable noodles (such as zuchinni)
- 1 cup of your favorite tomato sauce
- *1 cup good quality shaved parmesan cheese
- *1/4 cup sliced almonds
- *1 bunch (18 gm) fresh basil
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- *set aside additional cheese, almonds and basil leaves for garnish
- To roast tomatoes: Preheat oven to 225 F.
- Line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash and dry tomatoes, then slice in halves and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and just a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss on the cutting board and then spread tomatoes in a single layer on the sheet pan(s).
- Bake in the center of the oven for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, until slightly shriveled but still moist.
- Let cool. Use one cup for this recipe and refrigerate the leftovers, covered with a little oil.
- Use roasted tomatoes in salads, stir fries, cheese boards, sandwiches, dips, sauces and snacks.
- While tomatoes cook, boil pasta until al dente according to package directions. (Cook Pasta or vegetable noodles until firm because they will get softer when reheated with tomato sauce.)
- For a low carb/ no gluten option, use a spiralizer or sharp knife to make vegetable noodles. Boil in salted water for just 2 minutes, then refresh in ice water and drain.
- Before serving pasta, reheat noodles and keep warm.
- In a medium skillet heat tomato sauce and 1 cup roasted tomatoes. Add in pasta or vegetable noodles, cheese, almonds, basil, a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional) and toss gently, just until cheese melts and pasta mixture is heated through.
- Transfer pasta to a serving bowl and garnish with additional cheese, almonds and basil.
- May be served hot, cold or room temperature!