Ready made crescent rolls are the magic ingredient in this simple but fancy pull apart bread.
- 3 tablespoons butter or Earth balance buttery spread
- 3 (8 oz) cans reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian blend or your favorite dried herb blend seasoning
- Basil and Italian parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Before baking: Preheat oven to 375. Pour melted butter into the bottom of a non stick Bundt or 9 inch round cake pan.
- Assemble: Open one can at a time and unroll the crescent dough into four long rectangles (each rectangle will consist of two triangular pieces). Roll up each rectangle lengthwise like a cigar. One by one, layer each “cigar” on top of the butter, sprinkling seasoning between each layer. Layers will overlap and do not need to stack up perfectly.
- Rest: Cover uncooked bread with a dish towel and place in a warm spot ( at room temperature) for an hour. This helps the dough relax and make a taller, puffier bread.
- Bake: Place in the middle of the oven for 20-23 minutes, until top is a deep, golden brown. Remove and invert right away onto a serving plate.
- Make ahead tip: Prepare but do not bake bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to a day ahead. Allow to come to room temperature before baking.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil and Italian parsley and serve with dips and cheese or your favorite meal.
Recipe very slightly adapted from Italian Pull Apart Bread, courtesy of Holly Clegg’s Kitchen 101, Secrets to Cooking Confidence, Cooking Basics plus 150 Easy Healthy Recipes
Nutritional Information from Kitchen 101
- Serving Size: 2 oz
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 3 gm
- Sodium: 353
- Fat: 9 gm
- Saturated Fat: 4 gm
- Carbohydrates: 18 gm
- Fiber: 0 gm
- Protein: 3 gm
- Cholesterol: 6 gm