Make this easy chocolate mousse for your Valentine or special guests. Five ingredients and thirty active minutes are all it takes to make this over the top decadent and rich chocolate dessert!
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream or full fat coconut cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional toppings:
- Whipped topping
- Chocolate bar, shaved with a peeler or cut into sticks
- Melt chocolate: Set chocolate in a heatproof bowl over (but not in) simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted. Then remove from heat. Or melt carefully in the microwave according to package directions.
- Make mousse: in a medium size saucepan or pot, combine egg yolks, 2 tablespoons sugar and 3/4 cup heavy cream. Stir constantly over medium low heat ( but do not boil) until mixture coats the back of a spoon, 3 – 4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the melted chocolate and vanilla extract until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh colander into a clean bowl and discard solids. Cover and refrigerate until cool.
- Beat cream: Use an electric mixer to beat remaining 1 1/4 cups heavy cream or coconut cream and 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir one third of whipped cream into cooled custard, then use a spatula to gently fold in the remainder.
- Spoon mousse into 6 serving bowls, cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to three days.
- Before serving, remove from refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Optional garnish: serve with a dollop of whipped topping, bittersweet chocolate shavings or chocolate pieces and berries.
- Other serving ideas:
- Mousse Parfaits: Layer parfait glasses with mousse, cake or berries and whipped cream.
- Chocolate tarts: Fill ready made mini tart shells with mousse and toppings.
Adapted from The Kitchens of Martha Stewart Living, Fresh Flavors Fast, Chocolate Mousse