Pumpkin puree and pie spices flavor this delicate mini scone, studded with dried cranberries and crunchy sunflower seeds. Can be made savory or sweet, gluten free, dairy free and vegan! If you like scones but don’t like pumpkin flavors, just leave it out! Plain mini scones are just as delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend + 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthum gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (gluten free ok)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup cream of choice, cold ( I used coconut cream)
- 1/2 cup cold lemonade*
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- cinnamon sugar for sprinkling on tops (optional)
- Make your own lemonade: dissolve 1/2 cup sugar in 1 cup boiling water and juice of 1 lemon. Pour over ice, stir, strain and measure out 1/2 cup.
- Adjust oven rack to top third of oven and set temperature to 390 F.
- Place a large baking sheet lined with foil or a SILPAT in oven while you make the scones.
- Mix together dry ingredients: In a large bowl sift together or just combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar (if using). Stir in cranberries + sunflower seeds.
- Mix together wet ingredients: cream, lemonade, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spices.
- Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Stir with a rubber spatula very gently, just until flour disappears. Cover bowl with a wet dishtowel and let rest ten minutes.
- Remove hot baking sheet from oven and set it next to scone batter. Use a mini ice cream scoop or tablespoon sprayed with cooking spray to gently scoop and drop balls of scone batter ( just like making drop cookies) onto the hot pan. (See blog photos above.)
- Sprinkle tops of scones with additional cinnamon sugar (if desired).
- Bake for 17 minutes, rotating after the first 10 minutes.
- Scones are done when the tops feel dry and firm to the touch.