Use this recipe as a template to create infinite variations of colorful vegetable and fruit slaws.
- 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro + extra for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne and salt. Add carrots, cabbage and chopped herbs and stir to blend. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to blend.
- Before serving, stir and garnish with extra fresh chopped parsley or cilantro.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Variations: Instead of the dressing, spices and herbs listed above, combine sliced vegetables with the following combinations:
- Sweet: Lemon and honey dressing, raisins and sunflower seeds
- Fruity: Olive oil and orange juice, grated apple or pear, dried fruits or chopped fruit bits
- Greek: Oil and lemon or vinegar, oregano or mint, feta cheese
- Italian: Olive oil and balsalmic vinegar, tomatoes, basil, parmesan or hard grated cheese
- French: Olive oil and white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, herb blend, sliced olives, capers
- Southwestern: Oil, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and cayenne or chopped jalepenos
- Grains and starches: Add 2 – 4 cups cooked quinoa, rice, pasta, beans, corn, etc…
- Over greens: Toss slaw with your favorite salad greens: arugula, spinach, spring mix, romaine
Adapted from the cookbook Olive Trees and Honey
by Gil Marks
Recipe by diginwithdana.com