Delicious mini quiche baked in muffin cups make a great breakfast, snack or side dish. Inspired by Spanikopita, the Greek spinach pie with feta, lemon and oregano. Gluten free, vegetarian and portable!
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped (65 gm)
- 10 oz frozen spinach or 2 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup +1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (6 oz) (180 gm)
- (reserve 1/4 cup to sprinkle on tops before baking)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch cayenne
- vegetable cooking spray
- Adjust oven rack to middle of oven and preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spray a 12-hole muffin pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Assemble, chop and measure all ingredients.
- Defrost frozen spinach (if using) and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Using a hand-held or stand mixer, beat eggs and egg whites together on low until blended.
- In another medium bowl, use a fork to combine frozen or fresh spinach, chopped sun-dried tomatoes, 3/4 cup of feta cheese, lemon zest, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne. Reserve 1/4 cup of feta cheese to sprinkle on muffin tops before baking. Taste mixture and adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Combine spinach mixture with eggs and blend on low until spinach is well combined (use a fork to break up any clumps of spinach).
- Use a 1/4-cup measure to spoon spinach mixture into muffin holes. You will have between 9-12 muffins. Sprinkle each muffin top with a teaspoon of feta. Fill empty muffin holes with a little water to prevent scorching.
- Bake frittatas 16 -18 minutes, just until tops are dry. Cool on wire rack or on top of the stove for a few minutes. Remove by running a butter knife around edges and lift out gently with a rubber spatula. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature. Reheat on low power in microwave.
- Store covered in refrigerator up to three days.
Adapted from Malibu Kitchen’s
Mini Spinach and Feta Frittatas
Find it online: https://diginwithdana.com/2015/04/greek-frittata-cups.html