Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction. These dark chocolate cookies deliver: salty, sweet, crunchy and gooey. Top with a just a touch of sea salt for extra crunch!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (115 g), regular or vegan
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 g)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (100 g)
- 1 large egg or egg replacement
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour (133 g)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (58 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk alternative (30 ml)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (180 g)
- 18 chocolate coated caramels like Rolos
- coarse sea salt, optional
- Gather and measure out all ingredients. Allow butter and eggs to come to room temperature.
- Cream butter with a handheld or stand mixer on medium for one minute. Add both sugars and mix on medium speed until light in color, about 3 minutes. Add egg, vanilla and cream or milk alternative and mix until combined. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- In another medium size bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Turn mixer on low and add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients about one third at a time. Mix in the chocolate chips until just combined. Do not overmix. Cover the bowl well with plastic wrap and chill either in freezer for thirty minutes or in refrigerator for an hour or more.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and line with parchment paper or use a silicone mat.
- While the batter is chilling, unwrap the rolo candies. To make 36+ small cookies, cut candies in half. To make 18 cookies, leave the candy whole.
- To make small cookies, scoop 1 tablespoon of dough, break dough in half and place half a rolo in between the two halves. Roll the dough into a ball to cover the rolo completely. To make large cookies, scoop 2 tablespoons of dough, break dough in half and place the entire rolo in between the two halves. Roll into a ball to cover the rolo completely. For best results (round, pretty cookies), cover with plastic wrap and chill the cookie balls in the refrigerator for an hour or the freezer for 30+ minutes. Just before baking, sprinkle just a few grains of sea salt on each cookie.
- Bake for 13 minutes, turning baking sheet halfway through cooking time to ensure even baking. Allow cookies to cool for 5 or more minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Makes 36+ small cookies or 18 large cookies.
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction