- 10 large assorted cooking apples,
- (Ex: Jonagold, Granny Smith and Braeburn)
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup brown sugar (packed), optional
- Peel apples, remove cores and cut into large chunks.
- Place apples in a deep pan or soup pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Add ¼ cup apple cider or juice and cinnamon stick and bring to a boil over medium heat. When liquid begins to boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Stir apples occasionally to keep apples on the bottom of the pot from burning. Applesauce is done when apples are brown and soft enough to break up with a large spoon. When applesauce has cooled, taste and add brown sugar if desired.
Adapted from 500 Fat Free Recipes