- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (174 gm.)
- ½ cup sugar (115 gm.)
- ¼ cup baking cocoa, regular or dark (40 gm.)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee (3 gm.)
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder (15gm.)
- ½ teaspoon salt (2 gm.)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice (225 gm.)
- 2 teaspoons white or apple cider vinegar (4 ml.)
- ½ cup canola or light tasting vegetable oil (60 ml.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (2 ml.)
- ¼ cup honey or light agave nectar (85 ml.)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (100 gm.)
- Line cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- Combine dry ingredients: In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, coffee, baking powder and salt. Stir gently until blended.
- Combine wet ingredients: In another bowl, combine non-dairy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle for a few minutes. Then add canola oil, honey and vanilla. Whisk well to blend.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and whisk just until flour disappears. Use a rubber spatula to fold in chocolate chips.
- DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ full using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop.
- Bake 18 – 20 minutes. Rotate cupcakes after the first 10 minutes. Cupcakes are ready when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out (almost) clean.
- Serving ideas:
- Slice cupcakes in halves or thirds (wedges) and serve on a platter with chocolate chips, berries and whipped topping on the side.
- Dust with powdered sugar or cinnamon.
- If you can’t live without frosting…
- Double decker frosted cupcakes: Cut cupcakes in half horizontally. Using your favorite frosting, frost bottom half, top and frost again. Dust with cocoa and top with chocolate chips.
- Divide recipe in half to bake 6 regular cupcakes or 12 minis.
- (Bake minis 8 -10 minutes.)
- Make ahead, wrap well and freeze for up to three months.
Adapted from Isa Chandra Moskowitz