Adapted from The Low-Carb Barbecue Book by Dana Carpender. Marinate the chicken overnight for best flavor. A great basic marinade that will work well on meat and even fish (marinate fish for only 15 minutes). Serve inside lettuce leaves to make low carb tacos! Makes 1 cup of marinade.
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed or finely minced
- 1 t kosher salt
- ½ t cracked black pepper
- 1 t ground cumin
- ¼ – ½ t cayenne
- 1 t-dried ground oregano
- 3 T molasses
- *¾ cup (180 ml) lime juice
- ¼ cup olive or vegetable oil
- 2 – 4 pounds boneless chicken breast (skin optional)
- paprika (to sprinkle on chicken before marinating)
- *zest and set aside ½ a lime for salsa recipe below
- Make the marinade. In a medium size bowl, whisk together first 9 ingredients, from garlic to oil.
- Prep chicken. Wash and pat chicken dry. Sprinkle both sides with plenty of paprika and a little extra oil to coat. Place chicken in a ziptop bag and pour in marinade. Close and turn bag over several times to thoroughly coat chicken. Place on a cookie sheet and set on bottom shelf of refrigerator for 1 -24 hours.
- Cook chicken. Remove chicken from bag, set on a broiler pan or plate and pour remaining sauce in a small pot. Over medium heat, reduce sauce for about 5 minutes and use a brush to baste chicken before cooking. Cook chicken skin side down on grill or broil in oven. Flip chicken and baste the other side halfway through cooking time. Times may vary according to your oven or heat of grill. Broil in oven for about 7 minutes a side. Chicken is done when a cooking thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 165 F or higher. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with fresh peach salsa.