Use this recipe as a “roadmap” to create your own brightly colored roasted vegetable medley, not just in summer, but all year long! Great made ahead and reheated or served at any temperature.
- 2-3 bell peppers (red, orange, yellow)
- 1 can artichoke hearts
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 15 baby carrots
- 1 medium eggplant and or 2 large zucchini
- 1-2 red onions
- olive or avocado oil
- balsalmic vinegar
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound fresh snap peas or green beans
- fresh herbs and lemons (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line 2 or 3 sheet pans with foil and set aside.
- Cut the peppers into four large slices, removing core and seeds.
- Slice artichoke hearts in half.
- Slice eggplants and or squash in half, then cut each half into one inch half moons. (To take out bitterness, you may place slices in a colander with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let drain 10 minutes.)
- Peel onions and slice into 1/4 inch rounds. (Transfer onions to sheet tray with a spatula to keep rounds intact.)
- Spread out vegetables in a single layer on sheet pans. (Overcrowded vegetables will steam instead of roast.) Hand toss each group with 1-2 tablespoons oil and 1 teaspoon vinegar, then add some salt and pepper to taste. (Don’t over salt- you can add more salt after cooking if needed!)
- Roast vegetables in two groups or use two ovens to roast all at the same time.
- Roast for fifteen minutes, turn each piece over and return to oven another five to ten minutes, until vegetables are cooked through. Let cool, taste and add more salt if needed.
- Easy family style serving: Place vegetables in groups on a large serving tray over your favorite grains, beans or greens. Garnish with fresh herbs like oregano or thyme and lemon wedges.
- Make ahead, arrange on oven safe platter, cover, and refrigerate. Before serving, reheat, covered with foil, at 350 F until heated through or serve cold or at room temperature.