Plenty of lemon juice and zest give this buttermilk pound cake a tart, refreshing zing. Serve with berries and whipped cream for brunch or dessert!
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided (495 gm)
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (16 gm) (6 – 8 lemons)
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter (226 gm)
- 4 jumbo eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (8 ml)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (429 gm)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (3 gm)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (4 gm)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (6 gm)
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided (175 ml)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (175 ml)
- baking spray (with flour)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (230 gm)
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (60 ml)
*All butter, eggs and liquid at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine 2 cups sugar + lemon zest using an electric or hand mixer. Mix well.
- Add butter to sugar mixture. Beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating a full minute between additions.
- In a bowl, sift together: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl combine: 1/4 cup lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla. Beginning and ending with flour, alternate adding flour and buttermilk mixtures to batter.
- Spray a 12 cup bundt pan heavily with baking spray.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 45-55 minutes.
- Make lemon syrup: In microwave or small saucepan over low heat, stir 1/2 cup sugar + 1/2 cup lemon juice until sugar dissolves.
- Allow bundt cake to cool for 20 minutes before flipping over cake onto a large plate lined with parchment paper. Spoon syrup over cake a little at a time. Let cool completely.
- Make glaze: Mix sifted powdered sugar with lemon juice until smooth and pourable. Pour over top of cooled cake in a circular fashion, allowing glaze to fall over sides.
- Store covered at room temperature up to three days. Cake is even better on day two!
- Serve with berries and whipped cream or ice cream.