What’s classic, tart and improves with age?
Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake: my all time favorite, all purpose dessert.
Inspired by the royal wedding and adapted from Ina Garten’s Lemon Cake, this bundt cake version makes a tall beautiful cake, suited to all sorts of summer celebrations.
Tuck slices into a picnic lunch or serve at home with berries and cream for a special brunch or dessert!
No bundt pan: Use 2 loaf pans or a 9X13 brownie pan. Line pans with parchment before baking.
Instead of buttermilk: Start with a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice, then fill with milk or cream ( non dairy ok) to equal 1 cup. Measure out 3/4 cup of buttermilk for this recipe.
Gluten free: Use an all purpose gluten free flour blend.
Dairy free: Use vegan butter and non-dairy milk mixed with a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice.
- the batter,
- the syrup spooned over the warm cake and
- lemon/powdered sugar glaze drizzled over the top
Save time & calories by making just the syrup or the glaze (or neither); this cake will still be intensely delicious!
Pin & Dig In!
MORE lemon recipes to love:
- Rubber measuring cups with spouts
- Microwave safe glass measuring cup
- All purpose Silicone Spatula
- 3 piece nesting bowls with rubber handles/bottoms
- Parchment Paper Baking Sheets
- Citrus Zester
- Squeeze and Pour Citrus Juicer
- Baker’s Joy Cake Pan Spray
- Dana’s favorite Bundt Pan
I would LOVE to see your diginwithdana recipes!
TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @DANAZGERARD, HASHTAG #DIGINWITHDANAPrint
Plenty of lemon juice and zest give this buttermilk pound cake a tart, refreshing zing. Serve with berries and whipped cream for brunch or dessert!
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided (495 gm)
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (16 gm) (6 – 8 lemons)
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter (226 gm)
- 4 jumbo eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (8 ml)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (429 gm)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (3 gm)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (4 gm)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (6 gm)
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided (175 ml)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (175 ml)
- baking spray (with flour)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted (230 gm)
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (60 ml)
*All butter, eggs and liquid at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine 2 cups sugar + lemon zest using an electric or hand mixer. Mix well.
- Add butter to sugar mixture. Beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating a full minute between additions.
- In a bowl, sift together: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl combine: 1/4 cup lemon juice, buttermilk and vanilla. Beginning and ending with flour, alternate adding flour and buttermilk mixtures to batter.
- Spray a 12 cup bundt pan heavily with baking spray.
- Pour batter into bundt pan and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 45-55 minutes.
- Make lemon syrup: In microwave or small saucepan over low heat, stir 1/2 cup sugar + 1/2 cup lemon juice until sugar dissolves.
- Allow bundt cake to cool for 20 minutes before flipping over cake onto a large plate lined with parchment paper. Spoon syrup over cake a little at a time. Let cool completely.
- Make glaze: Mix sifted powdered sugar with lemon juice until smooth and pourable. Pour over top of cooled cake in a circular fashion, allowing glaze to fall over sides.
- Store covered at room temperature up to three days. Cake is even better on day two!
- Serve with berries and whipped cream or ice cream.