A large microwavable bowl and lots of dark chocolate star in this simple recipe. The fudgy layer in between is optional but takes this brownie over the top!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter or vegan butter ( 114 gm)
- 1/4 cup extra butter for pan (57 gm)
- 8 oz semi sweet or dark chocolate chips (240 gm) (I like Ghiradelli)
- 3/4 cup white sugar (5.25 oz/150 gm)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed ( 3.5 oz/75 gm)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract ( if you don’t have almond extract, sub vanilla)
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (98 gm) (gluten free blend ok)
- 1 cup almonds, chopped (5 oz/150 gm) (sub pecans or walnuts)
- Fudgy filling
- 6 oz dark chocolate (240 gm)
- 4 oz heavy cream or coconut cream (240 ml)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8 inch square baking pan, then line with foil. Make a sling (for easy pick up) on two sides.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl to heat butter and chocolate chips together at 50% power, 30 seconds at a time. Stir between intervals. Continue stirring until completely smooth. (May take 2 – 3 intervals.)
- Blend sugars and salt into chocolate mixture, stirring well.
- One at a time, add in eggs, then almond and vanilla extracts until well combined.
- Gently add in flour and nuts together, mixing just until flour disappears. (Don’t overmix!)
- Spread batter evenly into pan and top with extra nuts and chips (optional). Bake in top third of the oven, about 35 minutes.
- Halfway through baking time, rotate pan and check brownies after 30 minutes. Better to undercook than overcook! Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached.
- Remove brownies and let cool completely. When cool, wrap well and freeze.
- To make fudgy filling: finely chop chocolate and set aside.
- Using the same (cleaned and dry) microwavable bowl, heat cream + maple syrup until boiling, then add chocolate and let sit 30 seconds. Stir gently with a rubber spatula until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Cover and let firm about an hour.
- Slice frozen brownies in half lengthwise and spread bottom with a thin, even layer of fudgy filling.
- If filling hardens, stir with a spoon to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- Cover with top layer and slice into either 16, 32 or 64 squares, rectangles or diamonds.
- Store brownies in the refrigerator until several hours before serving.
Chip and Nut Deluxe Version: Set aside an extra 1/4 cup each nuts and chocolate chips. Before baking brownies, sprinkle top with extra nuts and chocolate chips. Heaven!
Adapted from Food 52’s Vegan by Gena Hamshaw, Martha Stewarts’ Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast, and Quick-Shop-and-Prep 5 Ingredient Baking by Jennifer McHenry