If you follow a low carb, paleo, or meat based diet, you’ll love this simple paleo meatloaf. Just combine all ingredients, transfer into a loaf pan and bake. Good hot, cold or room temp.
- 8 oz diced pancetta or bacon (turkey bacon ok)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup tomato sauce, divided ( I like Classico Tomato and Basil.)
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- 2 teaspoons italian spices (or 1 teaspoon each dried oregano and basil)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 pound ground meat ( I used 85/15)
- 1 pound ground sausage (any kind you like)
- Optional garnishes: fresh parsley or rosemary, extra salsa or tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line a large loaf pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Saute bacon or pancetta and celery over medium heat until bacon is cooked through and celery is translucent. Let cool.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs until frothy. Add in 3/4 cup tomato sauce, garlic, italian spices, cumin and cooled bacon/celery mixture.
- With clean hands, crumble meats on top and mix together gently until well combined.
- Transfer meat to loaf pan and gently push the long sides inward to form a dome on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then remove and pour remaining 1/4 cup tomato sauce on top. Continue baking 15 minutes.
- Let cool, then turn out onto a cutting board and slice into 8 large or 16 small pieces.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, like parsley or rosemary and a side of salsa or tomato sauce.
- See blog post for additional serving ideas.
Adapted from Mexicali Meat Loaf, 500 Low Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender