The goodness of a granola bar in cookie form. Can be gluten free and dairy free. Experiment with your own variations of nuts, seeds, fruit and candy for a different trail mix cookie every time.
- 4 tablespoons butter (2 oz/57 gm) (or vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (120 gm)
- 1/4 cup white sugar (50 gm)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour (130 gm) (can be gluten free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (2 gm) (gluten free okay)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (1 gm)
- 2 cups rolled oats (200gm) (gluten free ok)
- 1/2 cup mix of nuts and seeds (100 gm) ( sunflower, pecans, sesame seeds, etc)
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit (70 gm) (raisins, cranberries, dried apricots, blueberries, etc)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (50+ gm) (dairy free ok-reserve more chips for the tops just before baking)
- Heat oven to 350 F or 325 F convection. Line three baking sheets with parchment or a silpat.
- (If you can’t bake three trays at once, reserve extra cookie dough in fridge and bake cookies in batches.)
- Use an electric mixer to cream together butter and sugars until pale and fluffy, about three minutes.
- Add egg whites, mixing until well combined.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt and oats, then add to butter mixture.
- Stir in nuts/seeds/fruit and chocolate chips until just combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon to place cookies onto baking sheets, one inch apart.
- Place an extra chocolate chip or two into tops of unbaked cookies.
- Use a fork to flatten cookies, then bake just 8 – 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For more variations, see blog post.
Adapted from Trail Mix Cookies, Sweet and Savory at Miraval Resort & Spa
This recipe can be easily cut in half.