Deluxe Trail Mix cookies are a classic recipe that even non-bakers can make with great results.
Big on taste, easy on the waist
A smaller cookie size + less butter and sugar = a deluxe cookie with just fifty calories and two grams of fat.
Blaze your own trail
by designing your own combinations; about 1 1/4 cup of nuts, seeds, fruit, candy and flavorings.
Dig these variations:
TROPICAL: macadamia nuts, dried coconut, dried pineapple and mango
ZESTY: almonds, cranberries and raisins, a tablespoon of either orange, lemon or lime zest (or a combination)
S’MORES: graham cracker pieces or graham cereal, mini marshmallows, chocolate pieces
AUTUMN: pumpkin and sunflower seeds, butterscotch chips, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon and dash of sea salt
HOLIDAZE: hazelnuts and almonds, dried figs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, dark chocolate or butterscotch chips
DATE NUT: walnuts, dates, 1 teaspoon vanilla, chopped caramel candy
This flexible recipe can ALSO be made gluten or dairy free. Use a gluten free flour mix, gluten free oats, vegan butter and dairy free chocolate chips.
Tuck these into
- a lunch bag
- summer picnic basket
- cheese board
- holiday dessert tray.
Click below for more cookie recipes >>>>>
**Make summer funner with Deluxe Trail Mix Cookies!
(**disclaimer: I know funner is not a word but hey, IT RHYMES.)
PIN >>> & DIG IN to these little bites of perfection!
DROP ME A LINE anytime at email@example.com.Print
The goodness of a granola bar in cookie form. Can be gluten free and dairy free. Experiment with your own variations of nuts, seeds, fruit and candy for a different trail mix cookie every time.
- 4 tablespoons butter (2 oz/57 gm) (or vegan butter)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (120 gm)
- 1/4 cup white sugar (50 gm)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour (130 gm) (can be gluten free)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (2 gm) (gluten free okay)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (1 gm)
- 2 cups rolled oats (200gm) (gluten free ok)
- 1/2 cup mix of nuts and seeds (100 gm) ( sunflower, pecans, sesame seeds, etc)
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit (70 gm) (raisins, cranberries, dried apricots, blueberries, etc)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (50+ gm) (dairy free ok-reserve more chips for the tops just before baking)
- Heat oven to 350 F or 325 F convection. Line three baking sheets with parchment or a silpat.
- (If you can’t bake three trays at once, reserve extra cookie dough in fridge and bake cookies in batches.)
- Use an electric mixer to cream together butter and sugars until pale and fluffy, about three minutes.
- Add egg whites, mixing until well combined.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt and oats, then add to butter mixture.
- Stir in nuts/seeds/fruit and chocolate chips until just combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or tablespoon to place cookies onto baking sheets, one inch apart.
- Place an extra chocolate chip or two into tops of unbaked cookies.
- Use a fork to flatten cookies, then bake just 8 – 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For more variations, see blog post.
Adapted from Trail Mix Cookies, Sweet and Savory at Miraval Resort & Spa
This recipe can be easily cut in half.