Wrapped in phyllo dough, this feta and spinach pie fits the bill as an appetizer, knock out side or vegetarian main course. Adaptable as a mini pie too. Substitute zucchini, other greens or cheeses.
- 3 eggs
- 2 bunches fresh Italian parsley, stems removed, finely chopped (1/3 cup/20 gm)
- 10 ounces crumbled good quality feta cheese (283 gm)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 pounds (2 bunches) fresh spinach, rinsed & stemmed or 16 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 8 scallions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil or melted butter ( to oil the phyllo – use more if necessary)
- 1 16 oz. package commercial phyllo dough, thawed (see package instructions)
- Preheat oven to 325 F and oil or spray the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Crack three eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat slightly.
- Stir in parsley, feta, salt, pepper and set side.
- Defrost frozen spinach or cook moistened fresh, well rinsed spinach in a non reactive pot over medium heat, 3 – 4 minutes until wilted but bright green. Drain very well in a colander, squeezing out excess water by hand until very dry.
- Heat tablespoon of oil or butter in the same pot and cook scallions until translucent, 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and scallions to egg, herb and feta mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Place defrosted phyllo sheets between two clean, slightly damp kitchen towels (to keep them from drying out).
- Set aside a pastry brush and a cup of oil or 1 stick melted butter.
- Assemble: Place two sheets of phyllo inside the baking dish, allowing the sheets to hang over the long sides. Lightly brush all over with oil or melted butter. (It’s ok if the phyllo dough rips or tears. Just keep adding and oiling the layers.)
- Add two more sheets in the same way and brush with oil or butter. Do this until there are 10 sheets at the bottom of the pan.
- Spread spinach filling evenly over the phyllo.
- Cover with remaining sheets of phyllo dough, two at a time, brushing with oil or butter, until you have used up all the sheets. Oil top sheet and sprinkle with a few drops of water.
- Use scissors to cut excess around sides or tuck in the flaps.
- In order to let steam escape while cooking, use a sharp knife to score (cut into) the phyllo dough to make 12 squares.
- Bake pie in center of preheated oven until golden brown and very crisp on top and sides, about 1 hr 15 minutes or more.
- Serve hot or keep refrigerated for two days. Good hot, cold or room temperature.