Make delicious homemade bread without the fuss with this six ingredient Simple Irish Soda Bread.
- 3 cups all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend (15 oz / 425 gm)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt (7 gm)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (6 gm)
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk, stirred (18 oz / 510 gm)
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed (1 oz / 30gm)
- 1 cup of raisins or chopped dried fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F at least 15 minutes in advance. Spray or butter an 8 or 9 inch cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda for one full minute to break up lumps.
- Stir together buttermilk and warm honey, then pour into flour mixture.
- Switch to a stiff rubber spatula and stir gently, just until flour disappears completely.
- Optional: Combine raisins or dried fruit with 1 tablespoon of flour and add into mixture, just until combined.
- It’s very important to use light hands and not overmix the dough.
- Scrape sticky dough into cake pan and smooth top with back of spatula.
- Use a sharp knife to make a deep X across the bread, cleaning the knife between each cut.
- Bake for 45 -50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Or use a meat thermometer: the bread should be at about 210 F.
- Cool the bread on a wire rack.
- Best eaten in a day or two. This bread reheats/ toasts well and is good hot or cold.