Make delicious homemade bread without the fuss with this six ingredient Simple Irish Soda Bread.
Baking soda and buttermilk replace yeast and proofing time.
Mix by hand in just one bowl.
Gluten-free: use a gluten free flour blend and reduce baking time by 5 – 10 minutes.
If you’ve never made bread before, this no fail recipe is the right place to start!
Great plain, with butter, for sandwiches, croutons or toast.
Celebrate St Patrick’s Day ( March 17) or any day with this heavenly aromatic, incredibly addictive bread. 🙂
You don’t have to be Irish to Pin>> and Dig In to…
DROP ME A LINE anytime at email@example.com
Serves: 20+ slices
- 3 cups all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend (15 oz / 425 gm)
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt (7 gm)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (6 gm)
- 2¼ cups buttermilk, stirred (18 oz / 510 gm)
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed (1 oz / 30gm)
- 1 cup of raisins or chopped dried fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F at least 15 minutes in advance. Spray or butter an 8 or 9 inch cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking soda for one full minute to break up lumps.
- Stir together buttermilk and warm honey, then pour into flour mixture.
- Switch to a stiff rubber spatula and stir gently, just until flour disappears completely.
- Optional: Combine raisins or dried fruit with 1 tablespoon of flour and add into mixture, just until combined.
- It's very important to use light hands and not overmix the dough.
- Scrape sticky dough into cake pan and smooth top with back of spatula.
- Use a sharp knife to make a deep X across the bread, cleaning the knife between each cut.
- Bake for 45 -50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Or use a meat thermometer: the bread should be at about 210 F.
- Cool the bread on a wire rack.
- Best eaten in a day or two. This bread reheats/ toasts well and is good hot or cold.