A classic, all purpose lemony cupcake for birthdays or any occasion. Can be gluten free. Makes 24 regular cupcakes, two 9 inch cakes or seven 4 1/2 inch cakes.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter + 1/2 stick for greasing pans, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 pint blueberries or berry mix sprinkled with 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter and flour two 12 cup muffin tins, two 9 inch round cake pans or seven 4 1/2 inch round cake pans.
- Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add in vanilla and then eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Using the lowest speed, add in half of the dry ingredients, then all of the sour cream, lemon zest and juice.
- Mix in remaining dry ingredients on lowest speed, just until the last of the flour disappears. Avoid over mixing to ensure a light and airy cake!
- Pour into pans.
- Optional: top cupcakes or cakes with a few sugared berries (they will sink into batter as they cook). Or simply sprinkle extra sugar on top to create a lacy, delicate crunch.
- As soon as you put the cakes in the oven, lower the oven to 350 F.
- Baking times: Cupcakes: 20+ minutes, 9 inch cakes: about 1 hour, 4 1/2 inch cakes: 30-40 minutes.
- All times are approximate. Use oven light and start checking early with a toothpick for doneness. (My cupcakes were done after 15 minutes.)
- Cool cupcakes/cakes about 15 minutes before running a knife around the edge of the pan and inverting very carefully. For best results, let cool to room temperature before removing from pans.
- Garnish with several of the following: frosting, lemon curd, whipped cream, sliced fruit, edible flowers.
Adapted from chef Eve Aronoff’s Eve, Contemporary Cuisine Methode Traditionnelle,
Lemon Sour Cream Cake