From birthday parties to brunch, Lemony Blueberry cupcakes fit any occasion.
Add blueberries for a POP of color or leave them plain and ready for
frosting, lemon curd or (spiked) whipped cream and berries.
Stretch your options;
this versatile recipe also makes two 9 inch or seven mini 4 1/2 inch cakes.
Can it be gluten free?
Use all purpose flour or a gluten free mix,
Easy on the stomach and the wallet,
this rice flour blend is around $4 a bag.
The gluten free cakes (pictured) were tender, delicate and delicious.
This lemon cake recipe comes from the cookbook Eve by Eve Aronoff, a Cordon Bleu trained chef and restauranteur.
Eve uses excellent basic recipes, like this cake, to create endless variations, from wedding cakes to dainty desserts for two.
Garnish simply with sliced fruit or go fancy with lemon curd and brown sugar cream.
Start the new year with a cake for all seasons and
Dig into the best Lemony Blueberry Cupcakes ever!
Serves: 24 cupcakes, 2 9" cakes or 7 4½" cakes
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter + ½ stick for greasing pans, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- zest of 1 large lemon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ pint blueberries or berry mix sprinkled with 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter and flour two 12 cup muffin tins, two 9 inch round cake pans or seven 4½ inch round cake pans.
- Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add in vanilla and then eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Using the lowest speed, add in half of the dry ingredients, then all of the sour cream, lemon zest and juice.
- Mix in remaining dry ingredients on lowest speed, just until the last of the flour disappears. Avoid over mixing to ensure a light and airy cake!
- Pour into pans.
- Optional: top cupcakes or cakes with a few sugared berries (they will sink into batter as they cook). Or simply sprinkle extra sugar on top to create a lacy, delicate crunch.
- As soon as you put the cakes in the oven, lower the oven to 350 F.
- Baking times: Cupcakes: 20+ minutes, 9 inch cakes: about 1 hour, 4½ inch cakes: 30-40 minutes.
- All times are approximate. Use oven light and start checking early with a toothpick for doneness. (My cupcakes were done after 15 minutes.)
- Cool cupcakes/cakes about 15 minutes before running a knife around the edge of the pan and inverting very carefully. For best results, let cool to room temperature before removing from pans.
- Garnish with several of the following: frosting, lemon curd, whipped cream, sliced fruit, edible flowers.
Nutritional Information for
Lemony Blueberry Cupcakes using
all purpose flour and unsalted butter.
Makes 24. For more calorie savings, make mini muffins!