This fall cookie bar is loaded with roasted apples, butterscotch chips and a browned butter cinnamon graham cracker crust. Freeze bars before cutting for even squares.
- 1 large or 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, cut in half
- 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 6 oz. butterscotch chips
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 oz unsweetened shredded coconut
- 10 oz sweetened condensed milk (about 3/4s of a small can)
- Preheat oven to 450 F and line an 8 x 8 square baking pan and sides with foil or parchment.
- Roast apples: Place peeled, cored apple halves on a foil lined baking sheet and bake 20 – 30 minutes, until edges start to brown and apples soften. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 325 F. Chop cooled apples into bite sized chunks and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker or cookie crumbs, cinnamon and sugar. Place beside stove top.
- In a small skillet, stir butter over medium heat until boiling. Continue stirring another 3 – 4 minutes until butter starts to brown, then remove immediately and pour over cookie mixture. Stir to combine, then pat evenly into the bottom and sides of pan.
- Sprinkle apple chunks over crust, reserving a 1/4 inch border all around edges.
- Next, layer on butterscotch chips, nuts and coconut.
- Drizzle condensed milk over top to cover evenly.
- Place pan on a baking sheet and bake 25 minutes, until they turn a light caramel color.
- Let cool completely. Tip: freeze bars for one hour before cutting into 32 squares.
- Store covered in a cool, dry place up to one week.
Recipe adapted from Nashville Eats by Jennifer Justus