This easy chocolate mousse is the perfect dessert for your special valentine!
Congratulations to Margie P!!! You have won an autographed copy of Holly’s latest book, Kitchen 101, Secrets to Cooking Confidence.
This cookbook features healthy, basic recipes like the Easy Italian Bread I shared last week.
Three additional lucky readers: Liza C, Roy W and Debbie K, will also be receiving a surprise thank you gift in the mail for entering the contest.
Stay tuned for more contests soon!
And now, the mousse!
This is the first “pudding” recipe on the blog and it lives up to high diginwithdana standards:
*easy, basic techniques
*can be made in advance
*looks and tastes delicious
*is adaptable and multi-purpose
For a dairy free version, use non dairy chocolate chips and 2 cups of full fat coconut cream (like Trader Joe’s).
Warm part of the cream, egg yolks and sugar together s l o w l y over low heat, stirring constantly for about 3-5 minutes, just until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
Low heat keeps you from scrambling the eggs!
Off the heat, add melted chocolate to the warm cream or dairy free coconut cream mixture, whisk until smooth and strain.
Refrigerate chocolate mixture just until cool, then add to whipped cream or coconut cream and chill until ready to serve.
Serve in little glass cups or bowls, topped with your favorite whipped topping, chocolate shavings and a few crunchy cookies or slivers of a chocolate bar.
Mousse Parfaits: Layer parfait glasses with mousse, cake or berries and whipped cream.
Chocolate tarts: Fill ready made mini tart shells with mousse and toppings.
So much flavor from such simple ingredients. This is one basic dessert recipe you’ll make and adapt again and again.
Dig in to Easy Chocolate Mousse! An easy, velvety over the top chocolate dessert for Valentines or anytime of year!
Dig this or any diginwithdana recipes?
Make something delicious you want to share?
Leave comments below, post to my FB or Instagram with #diginwithdana or contact me anytime at email@example.com
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!
Serves: 6 servings
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream or full fat coconut cream
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional toppings:
- Whipped topping
- Chocolate bar, shaved with a peeler or cut into sticks
- Melt chocolate: Set chocolate in a heatproof bowl over (but not in) simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted. Then remove from heat. Or melt carefully in the microwave according to package directions.
- Make mousse: in a medium size saucepan or pot, combine egg yolks, 2 tablespoons sugar and ¾ cup heavy cream. Stir constantly over medium low heat ( but do not boil) until mixture coats the back of a spoon, 3 - 4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the melted chocolate and vanilla extract until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh colander into a clean bowl and discard solids. Cover and refrigerate until cool.
- Beat cream: Use an electric mixer to beat remaining 1¼ cups heavy cream or coconut cream and 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir one third of whipped cream into cooled custard, then use a spatula to gently fold in the remainder.
- Spoon mousse into 6 serving bowls, cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to three days.
- Before serving, remove from refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Optional garnish: serve with a dollop of whipped topping, bittersweet chocolate shavings or chocolate pieces and berries.
- Other serving ideas:
- Mousse Parfaits: Layer parfait glasses with mousse, cake or berries and whipped cream.
- Chocolate tarts: Fill ready made mini tart shells with mousse and toppings.