Apples, cinnamon and sugar are all you need to make the best homemade, crispy apple chips!
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 apples (mix of red and green like honey crisp, jazz, granny smith,etc…)
- Preheat oven to 200 F. Adjust oven racks to rows one, three and five. Line 3 large sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a small bowl, mix together cinnamon and sugar. (You will not need all of it, but reserve extra for future uses.)
- Wash and dry apples, but do not peel or core. Using a sharp knife, thinly slice apples into circles or cut apple in half so the bottom lays flat and continue slicing. (See photos above for technique.)
- Remove seeds and fuzz with the tip of a knife.
- After cutting the first apple, combine with 2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar. Lift and turn over apples to coat both sides and place in a single layer on the sheet pan. Repeat with remaining apples.
- Bake apples for one hour, then remove from oven and turn slices over. Dab wet areas with paper towels. Bake for two more hours and turn oven off but leave chips in oven overnight, if possible. (This helps apples get crisp.) Apples will stay fresh at room temperature in an airtight container for about a week.
- Serving suggestions: Fruit and cheese plate, inside a salad, alongside a sandwich, with ice cream or with honey or caramel sauce.
Recipe slightly adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.