Use this blueberry muffin recipe as a guide to make all kinds of muffins. Substitute ingredients to make them gluten free, dairy free or vegan.
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon (15 ml)
- ½ cup milk or milk alternative (120 ml) (soy, almond, etc..)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (270 gm)
- (use less sugar depending on sweetness of berries)
- *8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter or vegan butter (113 gm.)
- *2 large eggs or flax eggs ***
- 2 ½ cups blueberries or mixed berries (410 gm) (mash ½ cup (80 gm) with a fork)
- 2 cups AP flour or gluten free flour blend (260 gm.)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (10 gm) (gluten free if necessary)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- *Bring butter and eggs to room temperature
- ***Make EACH flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon flax with 3 tablespoons water.
- Heat oven to 400 F. Grease 12 regular muffin cups or use muffin liners.
- Zest lemon, then squeeze and strain juice.
- Combine milk with half the zest and all the juice. Set aside to curdle.
- Combine remaining zest with 2 tablespoons sugar and set aside.
- Use an electric or hand held mixer to beat butter and sugar together about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Remove a tablespoon of flour mixture and toss it with the whole berries or fruit (this keeps berries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins).
- With mixer on low, add half the flour, then half the curdled milk. Scrape down sides and repeat just until blended. Then fold in mashed berries just until combined.
- Off the mixer, use a spatula to gently fold in whole berries with as few strokes as possible.
- Use a small ice-cream scoop or tablespoon to fill muffin cups ¾ ths full. Do not press down on batter. Sprinkle tops with lemon sugar.
- Place in middle of oven. After 5 minutes turn down temperature to 375 F.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in middle of muffin comes out clean.
- For crunchier, golden muffin tops, place under broiler for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- *Make mini muffins using 24 mini size muffin cups. Scoop cups all the way to the top and bake for half the time. Test for doneness with a toothpick.
- **Instead of muffins, make cakes using 2 loaf pans lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle sugar on top and bake at same temperature for 35+ minutes, checking for doneness with a toothpick.
Adapted from The Best Blueberry Muffins
in the cookbook Muffins by Elizabeth Alston