Zesty apples and plums with a sweet and crunchy oatmeal topping. The plums are optional but so delicious!
- Zest and juice of 1 large orange
- *5-6 large, assorted baking apples (3 lbs. or 1500 gm.)
- 5-6 black plums (1.5 lbs. or 750 gm.)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (85 gm.)
- 1 ½ t ground cinnamon (3 gm)
- ½ t ground nutmeg (1 gm.)
- Crumble topping
- ¾ cup All Purpose flour (100 gm.)
- ½ cup Oatmeal (60 gm.)
- ¼ cup + 1 T granulated sugar (80 gm.)
- ¼ cup + 1 T light brown sugar, packed (80 gm.)
- ¼ t kosher salt
- 4 oz. unsalted butter, cold and diced (113 gm.)
- (can use vegan butter)
- *For this recipe I used half Granny Smith, half Braeburn apples
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 325 F convection
- Prepare fruit: Zest orange and squeeze juice to equal 4 T or 60 ml.
- Place juice and zest in large mixing bowl. Peel and core apples. Slice into quarters, then slice each quarter into 4-6 slices. Leave peel on plums, slice like the apples and remove pits. Toss apple and plum slices in bowl and mix with orange juice and zest to keep fruit from turning brown. Add sugar and spices and stir well to coat.
- Make crumble topping: If possible, use a mixer to combine flour, oatmeal, sugars, salt and cold, diced butter. Mix on lowest setting until mixture is crumbly and butter resembles small peas. If mixing by hand, chop butter into VERY small pieces and combine all ingredients as described above.
- Assemble: Spray a deep-dish pie plate/brownie pan or casserole dish with cooking spray OR use 6 individual glass or ceramic bowls to make miniature crumbles.
- Place pie plate or bowls on a foil lined baking sheet. Load the apples, plums and juices into your container(s) of choice and sprinkle on the crumble topping, turning the pie plate as you sprinkle to evenly distribute the crumbs. In addition to your
- single large plate, you may have enough extra fruit and crumble to make 1 – 2 miniature crumbles too.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours or longer until fruit juices bubble over the sides and crumble topping is brown and crisp.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or your favorite whipped topping.
Adapted from Ina Garten