Salted Caramel Brownies are special event brownies!
These are Mother’s Day, special event brownies. (But after all, isn’t every day special? I like to think so…) I really tried to make a no mixer required, one bowl version of these brownies. But after extensive research, I have concluded that it takes a few mixing bowls to make delicious, sink your teeth into heaven brownies. Bake them for mom or someone special in your life; they deserve it!
Delicious, sink your teeth into heaven brownies adapted from Martha Stewart Living’s Fresh Flavor Fast.
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 oz semisweet or dark chocolate morsels
- 3 large eggs
- 2 t vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (100 gm.) all purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ t baking powder
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup salted caramel sauce, store bought or homemade
- 1 T large flake sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 325 F convection. Line an 8 inch square glass baking pan with parchment or foil. Make a sling (for easy pick up) on two sides. Spray the lining with cooking spray or use extra butter.
- Make the batter: Using an electric or handheld mixer, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy, 5 – 7 minutes.
- Use microwave or double boiler on the stove to melt chocolate until almost melted. (Microwave on medium power in 30 second intervals, stirring frequently OR place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until almost melted.) Remove from heat, add a spoonful of whipped butter mixture and stir well. Add melted chocolate to butter mixture and mix well on low to combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla.
- Off mixer, combine flour, soda and baking powder. Stir well. Add flour mixture to batter and mix on low until just combined. Fold in chopped pecans, if using.
- Pour batter into baking pan and smooth the top.
- Make caramel design. Pour cold sauce into a small zip top bag, close and twist top to make a “pastry bag”. Snip a tiny corner of the bag and make a design in the brownies. Ideas:
- *Make dots across surface, then draw a line vertically with a toothpick through the middle of each dot to make a heart.
- *Draw vertical lines in one or two-inch intervals across surface, then drag toothpick horizontally across lines to create a zigzag grid.
- *Draw lines of caramel, then swirl with a butter knife to create a marbled effect.
- *Option: Sprinkle top with large flaked sea salt.
- Bake 45 -50 minutes. Rotate pan halfway through baking. Brownies are done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out with just a few crumbs attached. Cool completely.
- For best results, wrap and freeze pan of brownies before cutting. Set frozen brownies on a cutting board and remove paper or foil. Cut into 16 squares. Decorate with additional lines of caramel sauce, if desired. Thaw before serving.
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living’s Fresh Flavor Fast