|Start with four pounds of fresh ground round beef (we like 80/20).|
|Take out and measure all your ingredients before you start.|
Dig In to Chili and Serve with:
- A big mixed green salad, cornbread or crackers.
- Quinoa or noodles instead of rice!
- Wrappers such as lettuce leaves or tortillas, topped with sour cream, cheese, avocado & salsa.
Serves: 12 servings
- 4 lbs 80/20 chili grind hamburger meat
- 4 cups tomato sauce (I like Classico)
- 28 oz diced canned or fresh tomatoes
- 26 oz. water
- 11 oz. light beer
- 1-cup chili powder
- 3 T cumin
- ½ - 1 t cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ cup minced dried onion
- 2 t garlic powder
- 2 t salt
- *2 or more T masa flour – set aside for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Add all the liquid ingredients in one bowl and all the spices (except the masa) to another bowl.
- Brown the meat in two batches and pour off the fat.
- Add the browned meat to a heavy duty (like cast iron) deep pot with a lid.
- Add all wet and dry ingredients except masa, stir to mix and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer with lid partially on for 1½ -2 hours.
- Adjust seasonings to your taste. (Sometimes it needs more salt)
- When the meat is soft enough to your liking, mix the masa in a little bowl with enough cool water to make a slurry and pour through a strainer into the chili pot.
- Stir and cook another 10 minutes to let thicken. Taste again and adjust seasonings.
Better yet, make a pot for the next weekend's Superbowl Supper!